Coffee Coffee Coffee

1:12 PM

I love coffee shops. I'll list some reasons why.



First, I no longer "go to work." I work from home. I love it, but the extraverted part of my personality can sometimes struggle with it. True, I have two cats at home. But they just don't offer the verbal stimulation that I need. Neither do the walls. When left alone for too long with my thoughts, I can start to get a little weird. Coffee shops offer the perfect fix. I do not like small talk, but I like to feel like I'm a part of something. I can come sit at a coffee shop for a few hours amongst perfect strangers that still seem like good friends. There is no obligation to talk, yet we can if we want. The other day, an older gentleman sitting next to me by the fireplace urged me to read some article written about President-Elect Trump in the NY Times. I meant to, but never did. But I love the camaraderie we all have, sometimes without even saying a word. This may sound silly, but it's almost as if other peoples' existence and lives are a validation of my own. I don't have this at home.

Second, caffeine.

Third, coffee shops transport me to another place, away from "those other things" that are staring me in the face at home. Such as laundry, dishes, that stack of bills that has been sitting there for 2 weeks, and about 38 other distractions that all vie for my attention. Going to a coffee shop is like being on vacation. It's out of sight, out of mind-- you do the things you don't normally have the focus to complete because you have no choice but to accomplish whatever you have in front of you. Honestly, the days where I spent 3-4 hours at a coffee shop are the ones that are the most productive.

I'm certain this is in large part thanks to my personality, but I love to discover new places. And I love it when I am the one who discovered it. For some reason, experiencing some place new and taking in everything about it-- its location, its vibe, its scone flavors, its twist on iced mochas-- it's exciting. Currently, I have three local favorites that I take turns attending.

I wrote the 3 reasons above while at Colectivo last week. This is probably my favorite place and actually has 3 locations in the Madison area, but I usually only end up at the downtown one or the newly discovered location on Monroe. The Monroe shop is great because there are big oversized chairs and a couch that surround a fireplace in the middle, and there is usually a seat open. This portion is covered in windows, almost like big old garage doors, and is right next to a busy street. I love the hustle and bustle. It's always warm and friendly and bright. I see anyone from dads coming in with kids to get an after-school snack to 70 year old men reading newspapers to college students working diligently on their laptops.

Today, I am finishing this post at Crescendo. I discovered this place last March on a cold, rainy day. I ducked in needing shelter, and had a nice visit. However, it wasn't until discovering iced nitro coffee and figuring out that this is the only place that serves it that I started coming back more frequently at the end of this summer, and now I'm hooked. This place is charming because its not perfect. Most of the chair cushions are ripped and there is a conglomeration of tall tables, low tables and window seating. There is a little corner in the front that is raise up next to a fireplace and every once in awhile on a Monday, a traveling boutique sets up shop for a few hours. Such is the case today, and I sat right next to them because I like having their distraction in the background.

The only other location I haven't talked about yet that I love is True Coffee Roasters and they're located in Fitchburg. It's about an 8 minute drive from our home taking the back roads, and I actually biked there once this summer when I was feeling ambitious. It was the first place I discovered after moving here, so it holds a special place in my heart. They also pack a lot of their own coffee beans and our church, Blackhawk, serves their coffee for events.

Thank you, coffee shops, for existing.


You Might Also Like

0 comments