End of Autumn Update!

7:17 PM

It is time for another update!

Here we are at the close of another season. While winter doesn't officially begin until 12/21, it feels nothing of Fall here anymore. The trees are bare, the grass no longer needs to be mowed, and I'm to the point where I run from my car to the targeted building. And in another week or so, I wouldn't be surprised if the snow flakes start flying!

It's fine, though. As much as I love to hold onto that last glimmer of sunshine and warmth, when it's this late in the game (i.e. it's the week of Thanksgiving), I'm OK with the weather starting to feel more season-appropriate. Especially since next week I'll be listening to Christmas music! (Wait, or this week? I may have snuck in a few holiday tunes while stuffing Christmas Cards last night. Don't tell Ryan).

A few musings before we get into the show & tell portion of the post...

Today, I saw a quote about humility on one of my Instagram's feeds and it really struck a chord with me. I think it's because a humble heart is not just something most people wake up one morning with and have mastered. It is created over a lifetime of joys, sorrows, wins, failures, challenges, victories, and losses. Our experiences help shape us into who we are and the Father helps mold our hearts into Who we need to become more like. I do genuinely believe some people are naturally more meek than others, because that is just the way they are wired. But for the vast majority of us (myself included), much work needs to be done.

Then, tonight my devotion was based on the verse Psalm 51:17, "The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God."

The Lord desires a broken and contrite spirit. One that is humble and pliable.

I want to be more this way, but admittedly, sometimes fear stops me from asking God what I know I need to ask: Lord, will you make me more humble?

That opens up the door to an opportunity for me to learn. He may certainly supply me with a situation that humbles me, and honestly, that is a scary request.

But I will ask it anyway, because I know God desires it of me and He is the only one who can help me to get there... Lord, please help me to have a humble heart. Strip my walls of pride down and show me the areas where it is hidden to even my very self.

The quote I shared on Instagram, which unfortunately I have to list as anonymous because I am unsure of the source, was this:

"A humble person thinks much of God and others and spends little time fixating on herself. She recognizes that anything she has is better than she deserves. She doesn't feel anyone owes her anything. She doesn't feel entitled to have more, or for life to be easy, or for everyone to love her and treat her well. She's grateful for the least little kindness that's extended to her, knowing it's more than she deserves."

I think the reason this quote got to me is because it gets at the heart of what every woman DOES truly desire... material blessing, financial peace, and a pain-free experience with lots of friends who love us. Because a lot of us have grown up in a pretty cushy environment, a sense of entitlement can easily entrap us before we even realize it's there. And it's not so much of a verbal affirmation as it is an attitude... no one wants to admit that they feel entitled. We all want to feel loved and accepted. We want people to like us, accept us, speak well of us and speak well of our families and houses and talents.

But what if we adopted the exact opposite attitude, as the quotation suggests? What if we start seeing kindness as a gift, even a surprise? What if everything we own is not ours, but a loan from the Father for us to use it wisely? What if the people we come in contact with are not objects of our approval, but rather souls with hearts that we see as the Lord sees? What if, when we are slighted, instead of feeling like we are owed better, we look Heavenward and cast it on the One who cares for us?

This may seem like an off-topic thought, but so many times during this past Election, I kept asking my husband, "What do you think Jesus would do in this scenario? Do you think He would have voted? And if so, who would He have voted for? How would He have handled the people and their reactions?" I came up with no answers, but posing the questions got me thinking in the right direction. And I was more easily able to hand it over to Him, knowing I may not know what I am doing, but God sure knows what HE is doing. And really, that's all I can do, even with my hot mess of a prideful attitude and entitled-leaning heart. In any scenario the day confronts me with, I must ask... What would Jesus do?

Just some thoughts milling around in my mind tonight. Onto some pictures of the past couple months... and in the spirit of my deeper musings, a LOT of reasons to be grateful & thankful as gifts from above...


In early October, my parents took a road trip up to Ryan and I and brought along this piano given to us from a family! So special to have a piano in the house again so I can play.


Everyone needs a little macaroon in their life... this one is positively delicious. My mom and I split this when we went out to brunch the weekend they were here.

We went to Marigold Kitchen. Top notch!

It was the perfect day for Farmer's Market-going!

2016... the year of pumpkin stacking!

Later that afternoon, we went to the UW Arboretum and did some hiking. My parents looking cute :)

Fall floor...

Fall sky.

My husband is a saint for letting me take pictures like this :)


Hikers!

The very next weekend, my mom brought her Happy Hearts group up to Madison for round 2 at Marigold Kitchen & Farmer's Market.


 Happy Hearts in front of the Capitol!

Obviously, I recommended everyone immediately buy the hot spicy cheesy bread from Stella's.

A beautiful bouquet give to me by my mom!

Such a lovely group of ladies that visited me for the day!

That same weekend, Ryan's parents came up to spend Sunday with us. We also had a lovely time going to church, eating brunch and relaxing!



The Midwest Food Bank Banquet-- with the family



Ryan and I took a trip to Arizona in late October. My Aunt Connie & Uncle Joe graciously kept us for the week!

We had a fun time visiting cousins.

One morning, we climbed Camel Back Mountain. Just about the time I said, "We are NEVER going to reach the top!" we finally go there :) The view is outstanding!

Onto Sedona... Ryan taking a panoramic of the views!

Pink Jeep Tour! It was bumpy!




Oak Creek Canyon in all its glory. The morning view from our cabin balcony.

The classic Oak Creek shot!

And one by the creek.

We hiked Devil's Bridge... SO cool!

And we journeyed a bit further North to take in some views at the Grand Canyon

A girl's lunch with my mom, aunts, and cousins!

Ryan and Uncle Ducky chilled in the living room :)


Ryan, 7 days before shaving and Ryan after shaving :)

Breakfast at Butterfield's

My mom with her sisters... none of them age!

Our nice, not-in-hiking-clothes shot of the trip :)

Cubs win the World Series!!!

Fall cookout with the family

Celebrating Tonya and Lola... 

...and Domniq & Beau.

Can you believe we are eating outside in November?

Beau, reading his new book fireside

These girls are getting too old!

Football in the yard... always.

Taking notes on how the best way to make s'mores ;)

Peanut butter cup s'mores

The way boys this age say "cheese"

TRYAN

Fun new gifts :)

Baby Shower for Heather at Eli's Coffee Shop

H opening gifts

So many fun and special friends.

See you when the snow is here.

T

You Might Also Like

0 comments