Anticipation

8:39 PM

It's one of those things that is more exciting than the "thing." You know?

I realized it this Christmas-- and really, I have realized it before, but was just reminded of it again. The 3-4 weeks prior to December 25th were so exciting. Christmas music on at all times. Twinkle lights lined every house and every store exterior. There was the hope of a white snowfall and scents of gingerbread cookies and candy cane desserts. My Christmas tree splashed color throughout my house, and strings of lights kept it glowing, even in the dark of the night. Parties were attended, shopping was completed, gifts were wrapped. I found myself wondering what Christmas Day 2014 would bring this year-- what would be under the tree, and how would the day go?

Anticipation. It pulsed through my entire being until the day of, and as the day got closer, it was almost sad because then it meant it would soon be over. The day comes and goes, and although it is a day full of joy, it doesn't last forever. Soon enough, it's December 26th. The wrapping paper gets stuffed into black garbage bags, the leftover food is eaten or thrown out, and the decorations come down. The tree goes back into the attic and the "new" items received are exciting, but already losing their initial glimmer.

Fortunately, New Year's Day is strategically placed within a week to once again raise spirits, and catapult most of us into a clean slate of resolutions and "going-to-do-better-this-year" activities. For me, I anticipated going to Mexico the day after Christmas (more on my MX trip in a later post), yet that has come and gone. My next source of anticipation is Florida at the end of January.


It's just so interesting to me how the hype is often times more exciting than the actual event. I'm not saying it's wrong, and in fact, it's probably a good thing. It extends the joy from the source. But it turned me to a spiritual connection-- and that is the most important anticipation we can have-- the hope of Heaven. Imagine a life with nothing to look forward to-- just the same predictable day with nothing fun for the future. Wouldn't that be dull? Imagine a life where this is as good as it gets-- and when the "game is over" and the last breath is taken, everything goes downhill. The best of your years was spent on this Earth, piling up treasures while here that eventually grow old and rust over and must be replaced.

But there is so much more to live for-- thanks to Jesus. And traveling to places like an orphanage in Mexico or a school in Zambia or the deaf village in Jamaica reminds me of that very idea: it's what hope and love can do. People there don't have an accumulation of "things" or happiness this world can bring, but what they have been shown is hope, and love. Anticipation for a better way. Love demonstrated in ways they cannot imagine. Hope of a better home, even if they never get to experience a complete one here on Earth. We weren't created to live in broken families and abusive relationships and cope with evil actions, but thus, here we are. Living in it. Yet because of Jesus, He gives us something so much greater to anticipate-- a new place, a new home, a new way. I often think of something I anticipate here on Earth-- something I love SO much-- and then I imagine that Heaven must be at least 100 trillion times better than even that.

I recently read about two colors that exist but as humans, we are unable to perceive. It's part of our limitations as a human-- but they are there. It's the mixture of the colors red & green and the mixture of the colors blue & yellow. It creates 2 new beautiful colors, similar to how red & blue make purple. Scientists have figured out a way to allow humans in certain studies to perceive these colors, and when asked to describe them, they can't. It's because-- how do you describe something you have never seen before? I am convinced that there are so many new colors in Heaven, so many new sounds and songs, new tastes and sights and sensations. Things we cannot even begin to imagine, because as humans we are so limited. Something to anticipate. (For those who would like to read more about these 2 colors, you can read the full article here).

This 2015, I am thankful for my life-- that I have it, and that overall, it's pretty good. And although that may be true, I am even more thankful that I can anticipate something far better.

Love you all... be back soon with a recap on Mexico. T

You Might Also Like

0 comments