My Trip to Mexico

9:20 PM

It's interesting-- when I was younger, I would have told you that I don't like to travel. I had no desire to go out of state, let alone out of the country. Then enters my High School years and early college years where my love for "creating" and telling a story and photography began to grow. I received my first professional-ish camera in 2007 at college graduation-- a digital SLR. I remember experimenting with the quick shutter speed and wide aperture and falling in love immediately.

As photography became a hobby and then a passion, so did communicating a message. I "experience" my life best by photographing. Some might feel trapped or inhibited by this notion, but for me, it's the best way I know how to tell a story (aside from just writing about it). If I could have the ability to take a picture at any time without the presence of a clunky camera, I would; unfortunately, some moments are better left alone and unphotographed so as not to disrupt the value of intimacy. It's always my biggest struggle-- do I snap a picture and risk upsetting the mood, or hold back and regret the candid moments I could have captured?

My heart's mission was soon formed when I started going on missions trips. The best way I knew how to utilize my talents (because let's face it-- my dad may be a concrete finisher and my mom may be a seamstress, but I inherited 0 of those skills) was to take pictures. And not just record the trip, but to capture life-- what is really going on-- and what continues to go on when the work team packs up and leaves. How can these images tell the story without eloquent words being written or a lengthy dialogue spoken? Can a child's eyes grip your heart... can the interaction of two cultures colliding resonate with your soul... can the smile of a baby that is malnourished but loved inspire you to pray more for the underprivileged? If so, then I have done my job.

So my goal in going to Mexico was yes-- to capture what goes on there-- but also, to visit a dear friend who has dedicated almost 2 years of love, life, and service to CVE and its mission. I admire her for her tenacity and servant's heart. I think what stuck out to me the most about this particular trip was the change in pace. I was used to visiting places like this on a work team-- and having the GO-GO-GO schedule of every hour being planned. But being down there this time felt more like real life to me... as if I was even just living at my sister's house for a week and her 5 children. I enjoyed eating breakfast with the "family," running around outside in the mornings and jumping on the trampoline, going on bike rides, hikes, coffee shop outings and even running to the grocery store. Most importantly, I put a "face to a name" so to speak with all the people, kids, and places that Kendra sees on a daily basis. And the mission of CVE was more clearly cemented into my mind, which makes my prayers for it more specific.

I was struck by the kids there. I realize I was only there for the snippet of a week, but they seemed so well-adjusted, well-behaved and well-aware of love. I am sure the reality of each particular situation presents plenty of challenges, but nonetheless, I was impressed by what I saw. And just what did I see?

Sweet smiles, hopeful happiness, lots of laughing, running and jumping, unconditional love, a sense of security, and of course-- sunshine... in more ways than one>> the Son was shining, too. Big time.

The entrance to CVE from the back end

Porch of the girl's house that Kendra lives in

Chewy. Chubby cheeks and a sweet smile.

I call him Mani the man... he is ornery and energetic and darling.
 

Tadeo... his smile and laugh are contagious.

Luisa... sunshine and smiles.

Saturday morning bike rides

Katie's cute coffee shop

Trampoline fun!

Enjoying smoothies at Cafe Sed

Mountain climbing time!

Enjoying the view at the top with Maria
  

My fellow photographer friend :)
 

View at the top

Kendra was a trooper and carried Luisa

Enjoying some Sunday afternoon ice cream with these 3 lovely ladies... Pau, Marce and Kendra.

The kids love playing softball!

Watching softball and trying to stay warm with Tadi on one of the cloudy afternoons.

Playing games on New Year's Eve

Kendra and Tadeo

A little bit of car trouble on the way back (er, ran out of gas)-- was quickly solved at the nearest gas station!

Saying good-bye after a wonderful week!
 Be back soon-- T




You Might Also Like

0 comments