Sweet Summertime!

11:50 AM

Since my last update was in Spring, it looks like it's time for a summer update. I'll give you the highlights so far with photos!

First, though-- a few thoughts (of course).

Has it really been 6 months?
July 9th marked 6 months being married to Ryan and my new living quarters in Wisconsin. In a lot of ways, it feels like it has been more like 6 years, yet at the same time the time has flown right by! I am not sure how that is possible, but it has been a good 6 months and I guess time flies when you're having fun ;)

Capital Fun
I really love the Madison area. I remember when I first moved here and I told people I was new, they would say, "You are going to love it here." They said it with such ease and confidence that I eventually started believing them, but as the months went on, that belief became a reality based in truth! There's really nothing not to love about this place, especially in the summer. I probably moved here at the worst possible time (in the throes of a Wisconsin winter), but in a way that was maybe for the best, so that it could only get better!

The summers here are the best. There are countless things to do, and every weekend home feels like vacation. There is the Dane County Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings where you can walk around with a bag of the hot spicy cheesy bread, which is basically like Heaven in a bag. It is also peppered with tons of local produce, beautifully bright seasonal flowers, and any type of cinnamon roll or scone you could imagine. Even if you're only there to walk, the fun atmosphere and beautiful square is lovely.

Walking up and down State Street is always an experience, especially on the weekends. All the cute local shops drag their merchandise out onto the streets and it's abuzz with lots of shoppers, and these days, Poke-goers. If you walk far enough, you'll run into Memorial Union Terrace, which is actually a UW landmark but one that people of all ages enjoy. It's situated right on one of the lakes with bright, colorful chairs and brats, beer and corn on the cob. Oh, and you can't forget about The Daily Scoop, which offers delicious ice cream flavors each day!

On Wednesday evenings in the summertime, there are the famous Concerts on the Square. The WI Chamber Orchestra plays themed music each time, and even though the concert doesn't begin until 7pm, locals come in the early afternoon to lay down quilts in the Capital yard to start reserving spots. By the time the orchestra starts to play, there are vendors set up everywhere selling wonderfully smelling treats to enjoy while you listen.

The bike trails here are about as numerous as the roadways, and everything is so well-kept. There is anything from beautiful prairie land as far as the eye can see, to lush and green grassy knolls with breezy trees, and fields and fields of brightly colored wildflowers.

And also... the eating. I have already tried many, many restaurants and have found some tried and true favorites, but have so many more places to experience! I love all of the unique eats & treats, and the focus on local farms / organic selections.

Any Challenges?
OK, I'll stop bragging about Madison ;) but it really is great and a GREAT place to visit!

I would say the biggest challenge of being here is just being away from friends and family, but that was to be expected. I am quite a social creature, so I miss the daily camaraderie of a mom, sisters, and friends at my fingertips. With that said, people have been great about visiting and calling, which always helps keep my spirits high.

Additionally, we really love the church we attend here (Blackhawk) and have some opportunities to get involved. I am particularly looking forward to joining a Life Group this Fall!

I also recently took a class at the Dane County Jail in order to start ministering to the ladies there with bible studies, which is similar to what I did at the Tazewell County Jail.

I have to remind myself that I just moved here in January, and I can't expect overnight friendships & community to unfold in front of my eyes. It will take time to stretch out and join new groups and get to know the people here. I am thankful, though for the opportunities I have had so far and the ones I will continue to have.

Time for some pictures!

 Ryan and his dad working on the grilling for Father's Day

A Midwest sunset

Happy Father's Day!

Tillie and Sylvie... sweet buds

A couchful of family!

Sisters!

:)

Birthday present!

A driveway of activity and a little MWFB ad ;)

:)

The big boys playing ball

Dad and his Father's Day Cubs gifts!

Happy Father's Day to one of the best!

:)

Happy B-Day to Tasha and Brad!

Ready to head back to WI on a Sunday evening

My favorite part about summer is the fresh flowers I can pick from my yard for indoor bouquets!


New porch bench

A couple friends came to visit... including this cute little dude 

Cheers!

Cousins

Aunty Heather and B

Memorial Union Terrace

Walking the terrace



Thanks for visiting, girls!!

Bike riding bliss. Love this lake view!

Trying out Coopers Tavern for brunch.

Dreamboat!

Orange Leaf :)

Bean bag naps.

Finally took Mr. Milo on his "Date with Aunt T" from last year's Christmas present ;)

Goofy golf and ice cream!

Ryan and his cousin at a family reunion

Dinner with T&M... Tillie enjoying her dessert.

Trampoline fun!


Hike with the parents

Brought home some containers of old school projects from my parents' attic

Two trash bags later, I had one organized container!

Ryan helping out at one of my photo shoots

Love these bright colors!

Lunch with Ryan at Epic

Dinner with some visiting friends! We love Madison visitors!

Our first golf outing

Happy 4th! Shake the Lake!

How most of my Sunday mornings look ;)

Movie night! The War Room is a great movie.

Sisters and nieces come to visit!


Haha ;)


Fun project at the Children's Museum with old frame pieces. My mom's K

My K

Love this quote...

...and these stools!

Rooftop exploring 






Naomi made this little project for us :)

Ice cream on the terrace!

Peaceful view




Grandma and Naomi at Brunch Club



Iced mocha-- my favorite form of caffeine ;)

Hot chocolate!

Selfies with Mama


Yum!

!!!

I have been wanting to try this and finally did-- the Coconut Creme Pie French Toast. It did not disappoint!

Little girl text messages... a requirement is that there will be no less than 50 emoticons per message.

Pretty botanical gardens and pretty ladies!




Sophie girl and me



Sisters


Shopping at Hilldale and cupcakes!

Here's the magic bread I was talking about... magic I tell you.

Farmer's Market fun

My new bike! I love it!

Brunch at Merchant

Brats on the terrace

Concert on the Square crowd

My handsome hubby of 6 months :)

Deliciousness 

Happy 6 months!

Enjoying some good eats at L'Etoile

Dessert!

Back in Central IL... got to meet Jack, the cute kid of some friends!

Ryan with J&B&J

Garden girlies!

Evening bags

Fun celebrating June birthdays!

Happy 30th to Al! 30 oz. of beer :)
Pokeman Go at church ;)


Helping my parents serve church lunch

Visiting cousins!

I don't recall being this pretty in Jr. High!

Purple love!!!

Basement shenanigans 

Three peas in a pod

Tillie the self-taught gymnast

Liam David

Superheros!

Girls with cousin Nicole

Big brother and cousin

So sweet and special to see a nephew give his testimony and be baptized!


HOPEfully... I'll be back before the turn of the season with an update ;)

T

You Might Also Like

0 comments