P Fest & Beyond

5:33 PM

Life has slowed down a bit, and I feel it... it's a much needed rest that I am fully aware will not last much longer. But I'm OK with that. I'm looking forward to the flurry of activity that will ensue in a couple of weeks, but until then... I'm enjoying the bliss of a week ahead of NO PLANS FOR THREE NIGHTS IN A ROW.

That never happens.

Ryan and I enjoyed his first Pumpkin Festival last weekend. I actually had a dream about it the other night, but I have to say the reality was much better. He was a good sport and experienced all the best parts with me-- eating a meal in the food tent, walking around, riding the Ferris Wheel, attending the Saturday morning parade, and of course... pumpkin ice cream.



We were supposed to get our engagement pictures done that Friday night, but it rained and never stopped, so... we rescheduled. But I am very thankful we did, because instead we had an absolutely beautiful sunlit Sunday evening for the pictures. I loved the experience, mostly because I am rarely on the other side of the camera. It was fun to be the "photographed" :) and I am SO happy with how the images turned out.

This is just one of the many amazing images taken by the talented Meredith Washburn.

Last blog post, I talked about taking time to stop and enjoy everyday moments. I have been working on it, and it's amazing how it changes my perspective. I'm not always perfect with it, because as humans we tend to default to our natural tendencies, but it's a work in progress.

On Sunday morning, I went to Tazewell jail and ministered there with another lady-- I'm usually on my own, but sometimes it's nice to have another person there to help support and supplement. As usual, on my way home, I stopped by Starbucks (I mean, it's literally on my way home... ;) and as I turned the corner to the coffee shop, I noticed a long line of cars curved around in the drive-thru line. I was approaching to get my spot in line, but saw an oncoming car who was clearly trying to turn left to also get in line. She looked frustrated, so I stopped and waved her in line ahead of me. She took my offer and waved her thanks of appreciation. I ordered as usual, and then when I finally got up to the window, the barista appeared and said, "OK, so we just had something happen that has never happened before. The lady ahead of you said you were nice and let her into the line, so instead of buying your drink, she bought you a $10 gift card."

The barista held up the card that read, "Thanks! The next one is on me!"

This pretty much made my morning. Again, it was a reminder that sometimes, choosing to slow down and enjoy the little moments can be rewarding. Had I been in my usual rush-rush-rush mode, I would have undoubtedly claimed my place in the long Starbucks line ahead of her, not wanting to waste on more minute that I had to waiting for my coffee. And my point is not to do nice things for people with the expectation of a "thank you" or resulting gift. It's more of an overall attitude, because people can tell when you genuinely care versus being too busy to even notice.

I attended a visitation of a dear family friend last night who died entirely too young of cancer. She leaves behind a husband and 3 young kids. Her battle with cancer only lasted 5 months, but the entire time she sustained a positive attitude and was extremely open about her journey. She allowed others to embrace her and pray for her and her family. So many people came out to show their support and love, and it was encouraging to see. Afterwards, I went out to dinner with my cousin who flew in from Arizona, my sisters and my dad. We talked about how it's so strange to think that she is just gone. It seems too soon. Our human minds want to say that she had at least 30-40 more good years left in her life. Why do some people only get 40 years on Earth, and others get 100? These are the questions that plague humankind, along with "Why do good people suffer?" and "What is the point of cancer?" The point is not always to understand the reason, but to trust the God who is very much in control and always has a purpose in our pain. And the best part is the glorious end in sight that we have... we may not always have a WHY but we often get glimpses of God's miraculous love, even in suffering, and we always have a WHO and a WHERE... and that is an eternity in Heaven with our Father.

T

You Might Also Like

1 comments