The First Weeks

5:22 PM

It's time to get into the details of my new life in Wisconsin.

I'll start by sharing a few things I have learned about Wisconsin in general, as well as living away from home:

1) If you live in WI (or move here), you are automatically labeled as a cheese head.

2) It snows here-- a lot.

3) Learning to get around in the town where we live is not easy, because the roads are very curvy, and you can go from a commercialized area to a rolling countryside all within a half mile. BUT, I have mastered the art of getting to the Hy-Vee, Target, Starbucks, church, and Gold's all by myself, and let's face it-- that's all I really need to survive ;)

4) Changing your name and state of address all within the same month-- for anyone who has done it, you know the pain I'm going through. Lots of visits to the DMV, social security office & paperwork in the mail.

5) Making meals & keeping house is a lot more fun when there is someone else living with you and enjoying it, too.

6) There is Green Bay Packers memorabilia in every store that exists in this state.

When you move away, the main question people ask is, "Is it weird?"

I imagine it's different for everyone, but for me-- it really isn't weird. Honestly, our house feels like "home" and since I have known nothing different in married life but being in this place, on this street, in this town and in this state, everything feels as normal as it could.

I will admit though, that at times-- it does feel weird. The moments usually strike me when physical examples of my new residence and status in life are before me-- such as my Wisconsin Driver's License arriving, announcing my new married name and street address. Or when I'm at my weekly Gold's gym class and I look around and think, "I do not know a soul in this room. And this is where I live now." It's exciting yet also a reality check that "this is real."

Another thing that happens when you move away is that in a lot of respects, the people close to you (family and friends) don't feel that far away. I believe it's a perspective shift. When you become the "out-of-towner," people make more of an effort to call you, visit you or see you when you're back. It's more of a special treat than when someone lives in your area. You can see them anytime. But move 3 hours away (or even 30 hours away!) and it's just different. Of course, you're trading the convenience of being disposable to those people on an everyday basis or see them at weekly events or around town, but then the times you are together don't seem so ordinary but rather intentional and memorable.

Fortunately, now with the technology of Facetime, Skype, e-mail and social media, thousands of miles can be erased. Years ago, all anyone really had was an occasional phone call or letter in the mail, but now we have so much more to keep us connected, and for that I am thankful!

Ryan and I have enjoyed being newlyweds. Our 2 month wedding anniversary is tomorrow, but in some ways it already feels like we've been married for 2 years. How quickly everyday routine can snap into place and fill your days. Yet as this first year of marriage unfolds, we have a lot of firsts ahead. Our first "Spring" together in Madison, our first bike ride on the trails, our first holidays with our families, our first trip we plan together or date night on the square. In a lot of ways, these first weeks here have felt a lot like the bliss of my college days. Playing games in the evening with dessert and hot chai, watching a series on Netflix together or staying up late... these are all the luxuries a young couple without kids can enjoy! And we are soaking in every moment.

Here are a few pictures of the first couple weeks living here... I need to snap some more recent ones, but thought I would share these nonetheless.


True statement :) 

Lily, getting used to her new stomping (and sleeping) grounds. She looks to be pretty comfortable!

Isabel, basking in the sun!

Wedding pictures to fill our home...

A very typical January/February scene in Wisconsin! Out our front door.

We do have sunny days, too :)

Lily is checking out the backyard. Sorry for all the pics of the cats. If/when we one day have children, I'll post pics of them instead ;)

Big yawn.

The best candle scent that exists.

The book that I cooked most of my meals out of the first couple weeks. Her stuff is REALLY good, if you aren't concerned about watching the waistline!

My favorite breakfast: cheerios and banana slices with a splash of whole milk.

The kitchen table decor... it has since been updated to something a lot more Springy.... in hopes that it's just around the corner!

I returned home one late Friday night from Central IL to a wintery snowy evening! You can't tell, but big flakes were coming down.

One view of our kitchen... I love this room!

The back hallway.

Enjoy the update, and I'll be back soon!

T


You Might Also Like

0 comments