A New Beginning

5:39 PM

There have been two times in my life when I have moved back in with my parents. The first time was after college. I had graduated and did not yet have a full-time job. I was coming off of a 3 year period of living away from home with college room mates, a jam-packed social calendar, and many, many late nights. I remember that it took some time to adjust to a new season of life. Every minute of my social life was no longer planned for me, and I suddenly had to look ahead more responsibly and figure out how I was going to make money so that I could pay bills and eventually live on my own permanently.

The second time was last Friday. But this time, instead of living there for 4 years before moving out again (thanks, Mom & Dad-- for letting me overstay my welcome!!), this time I'll only be there for 3 more weeks. And then I'll be getting married. And moving out of state.

The other day, my mom and I were both working in the basement and she said, "Taryn, are you getting excited?! It's finally going to be happening!"

I am usually good for enthusiasm, especially regarding the wedding, but my response was actually one of sadness. "Yeah, but once it happens, then it's just going to be over," I said.

I am such an anticipation-girl-- to my own detriment. There has been so much planning and excitement that has gone into this day, and the reality has been hitting me lately that in the space of 12 hours, it will simply be over. I cannot wait to see how everything comes together, from the cakes to the decor to the flowers to the wedding ceremony service to all of the sparkle... but how much time will I really have that day to stop and gaze at all of these details?

The advice I have been given over and over has been, "Taryn, just enjoy the day. Be intentional about taking it all in and remembering every moment. Otherwise, it goes by in a blur, and the next thing you know, the day is over."

One thing this has all made me realize is that I have been a bit flawed in my thinking. By letting my wedding day be the marker of the "end of all these fun, exciting times," I lose sight of the fact that it's a very special celebration. The wedding day itself is not the end-all. It is certainly not the end. It's actually quite the opposite... it's the beginning.


photo by Meredith Washburn Photo - http://www.meredithwashburn.com/

It's the beginning of a two week honeymoon journey that I get to take with Ryan. It's the beginning of a new chapter in my life as a married woman. It's the beginning of a brand new residence in the state of Wisconsin, and sharing a home together with the man I love. It's the beginning of a lifelong relationship, a new family, and a new rhythm. It's the beginning of figuring out what it means to go from one to two, and combining two lives and two schedules. It's the beginning of many joys, times of laughter, fun memories, and reasons to smile. It's also the beginning of interesting challenges, potential conflicts, tough situations, and major life decisions.

When I start to shift my perspective a little, I find that I can more easily enjoy the symbol of the wedding day. It's an exciting time-- yes-- one that will come and go. And in a lot of ways, it may seem like it goes by in a flash and I'll wonder how we just spent the last 5 months planning something that is over so quickly. But it means so much more than just a fun day where a lot of family and friends get together, watch us get married, and eat a meal together. It's the beginning of two lives becoming one, and the culmination of two single people who love God proclaiming their love for one another, and promising to serve Him in order to serve each other all the days of our lives. It seals in that promise and gives us the courage, commitment, and character to stay true to it. And it's a day that we can look back and remember how He has been faithful to us both, in the very act alone of bringing us together.

So while the day will have so many fun aspects to it (spoiler alert: think pink and gold glitter, ruffles, favorite snacks, and copious cake flavors <did you really think I'd just pick one??)-- it also reaches far beyond what the bridesmaid dresses look like or the meal we served at the reception. These may be fun elements to look forward to and enjoy on that day, and they will be-- by both the bride & groom, AND the guests-- but in the end, whether these things exist or not, the result is still the same. Ryan and I will still be married that day, and that's the most important part, because it marks a very special beginning.

T


You Might Also Like

0 comments