The Proposal

9:43 PM

I knew it would be happening "soon," but as I quickly found out, "soon" is a very relative term.


I also knew that one of my friends, Kristi-- was in on the plan. So she received multiple texts over this past month that read something like this, "So... how soon is "soon?" and "When is it going to happen?"

Ironically, I sent her another text on Wednesday morning that said, "I just want you to know that you told me I would be getting engaged "soon," and that was over 3 weeks ago." She replied with some "haha's," told me to relax and enjoy the moment and let it happen, and that again, it would be "very soon."

Little did I know how "soon" soon was! 

In my mind, I had no idea how this proposal could take place on a weekend, because we always had our weekends pretty planned out. So my mind couldn't fathom how he would sneak a proposal into one of them. Because of this, I wondered if he wouldn't come surprise me during the week sometime. But as time marched on, I dismissed that idea and concluded that it had to be happening this upcoming weekend. It just had to be.

Ever since Ryan and I started talking last Spring, we've always had a standing "Skype Date" on Wednesday evenings at 8:30. It was always fun to catch up "face-to-face" mid-week and talk for awhile. 

A couple of other things I'll preface this story with is that we've also talked extensively about building a teleporter. (I think anyone in a long-distance relationship who is reading this will understand why). Being able to teleport would cut out the 3 hour drive we have to make in order to see each other. Also, I told Ryan that I didn't want a big "public" proposal but that I would love anything he did and honestly-- all that it takes to make me happy is to hand me a Starbucks frappucinno.

So as usual, we had planned to Skype last night. As it turned out, I didn't end up going to Tazewell jail to volunteer, so I texted Ryan to let him know I could Skype at an earlier time.

"What about 7:30 then?" he replied.

Sounded great. I drove home, and on my way, noticed my eye was bothering me. So when I arrived, I took out my contacts and put on my glasses. I never wear my glasses, mostly because I'm basically blind with them on. But I figured I would be Skyping the rest of the evening and sitting really close to the screen, so it wouldn't matter.

At 7:30, I was set up and ready to Skype when Ryan texted me that he was going to reset his internet router, because it was acting up. This was nothing new, and usually happens once every time we Skype. Then a couple minutes later, he texted again, "I think I'm having a breakthrough with the teleporter. Check your front door."



I got up, ran to the front door, and immediately saw a Starbucks mocha frappucinno sitting on the ground. I smiled, picked it up, and looked around. Who put it there? Was Ryan nearby? I hesitated, then went back inside, concluding that he must have arranged for a friend to drop it off as a fun start to our Skype date.



He texted me, "Did it work?"


I responded with "Yes!!! How did you do that?!"

And he texted, "I think I'm coming through."

I ran back to the front door and opened it just as he was walking up. I couldn't believe my eyes! How was he actually here?


He received a huge hug from me and then he got down on one knee, told me he loved me and asked me to marry him! I said YES!!!



It was then that I noticed the camera set up to our right, and about that time, Kristi walked over from across the street with her camera. Because I had my glasses on, I didn't see ANYTHING except the only one I really wanted to see who was right in front of me the entire time-- Ryan.


I loved it and it was all so sweet and perfect. The best part is that I was definitely surprised and had no idea, despite all of my digging!


Every single day, I thank God for Ryan and the joy he brings into my life. Sometimes it's hard to be long distance, but I can't wait until someday very "soon"when we won't even need a teleporter to be able to see each other within a moment's notice anytime we want.

T

You Might Also Like

0 comments